Interior BC FOODSAFE Level 1
1-Day Certificate course, with same day Certification! Recognized by all Health Authorities in BC and many other regions. All of our FOODSAFE courses are taught by local Certified Public Health Inspectors! Our instructors entertain as they educate with amazing real-life restaurant inspection stories.
In FOODSAFE Level 1 students learn why food poisonings occur and how to prevent them. This is important information for those in the food or care-giving industries, or anyone who values keeping food safe for themselves, their families, or others. It is also an invaluable resume addition for anyone whose future employment involves handling food. BC’s laws require FOODSAFE Level 1 certification wherever food is served to the public.
FOODSAFE Level 1 - Frequently Asked Questions
- What is FOODSAFE Level 1 (Basic) about?
- Who Needs FOODSAFE Level 1?
- Is FOODSAFE difficult?
- Does FOODSAFE Level 1 have an exam?
- Do I receive my certificate the same day?
- Is this the official FOODSAFE Certificate Course?
- Does the FOODSAFE Certificate expire?
- What if English is not my first language?
- What if I don't pass?
1. What is FOODSAFE Level 1 (Basic) about?Topics covered include:
- Introduction to how microbes cause food poisoning
- Safe methods of receiving, storing, cooking, cooling, reheating, cold-holding, hot-holding, thawing, and serving foods
- Personal hygiene
- Cleaning and sanitizing
2. Who Needs FOODSAFE Level 1?Anyone seeking employment in Food-service, hospitality, and care-giving industries. Most employers in these fields strongly prefer that any new staff have FOODSAFE Certification, and many employers require all their staff be FOODSAFE Certified. Required by law. Provincial law requires that wherever food or beverages are served in B.C., the manager must be FOODSAFE Certified. If the manager is ever absent, at least one other person present must be FOODSAFE Certified. Many employers require many or all of their staff to be FOODSAFE Certified to ensure that this legal requirement is met, and their customers and businesses are protected from food poisoning. Anyone who prepares food. Many people take FOODSAFE simply to ensure the safety of the food they serve in their own homes. Everyone wants to be sure that the food they prepare for themselves, their friends, or their family, is safe to eat. Go to top
3. Is FOODSAFE difficult?Not very difficult, and we help make it easy. Approximately 95% of students taking FOODSAFE with us successfully pass the course on their first try. Our instructors understand that each class consists of students with a wide range of ages, experience, ability and English skills. Many of our students have not been in a classroom for many years, and the vast majority are pleasantly surprised at how well they do. If a student has difficulty passing the FOODSAFE course, the reason is usually limited English Language skills. If English is limited, see “What if English is not my first language?”. Go to top
4. Does FOODSAFE Level 1 have an exam?The last hour of the day is a 50 question multiple-choice test. Students need 70% to pass. Approximately 95% of students taking FOODSAFE with us successfully pass the course on their first try. The multiple-choice test is available in English, Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, French, Japanese, Korean, Punjabi, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese for those more able to read in those languages (see “What if English is not my first language?”). Go to top
5. Do I receive my certificate the same day?Yes. We mark your exam as soon as you are finished and (upon successful completion) issue a temporary certificate before you leave. This temporary certificate serves to prove that you are FOODSAFE Certified until the official certificate arrives by mail. Go to top
6. Is this the official FOODSAFE Certificate Course?Yes. This is the Certificate course that is required by law wherever food is served to the public within BC. The certificates are issued by the Provincial Health Authority and registered with the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control. Go to top
7. Does the FOODSAFE Certificate expire?Yes. Effective July 29, 2013, all FOODSAFE certificates expire 5 years from the date of issue. Certificates issued before July 29, 2013 expired on July 29, 2018. Go to top
8. What if English is not my first language?We understand the each class will have students who have limited English skills. The most current FOODSAFE student workbook is filled with many images specifically designed to be easily understood by students of all languages. The courses are delivered in clear, easy-to-understand English, at a level understandable by most ESL students. Students can choose student workbooks in English or French, or bilingual workbooks in English + Chinese, Korean, or Punjabi. These bilingual workbooks have proven to be very helpful for the students who use them. The multiple-choice test is available in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, French, Japanese, Korean, Portugese, Brazillian Portugese, Punjabi, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese for those more able to read in those languages. Please note that the FOODSAFE Certificate you receive will not indicate the language of your workbook or exam. For those with limited English Language skills or learning difficulties, purchasing the workbook in advance to become familiar with the material prior to the day of the class can be of extra help. Private group classes are also available in Punjabi or Chinese, with Instructors who are fluent in these languages. Go to top
9. What if I don't pass?Students must obtain a mark of at least 70% on the multiple-choice test to pass; approximately 95% of students do pass the course the first time. Students who obtain 60-68% on the test may rewrite the exam one time at a later date free of charge. Students with a mark of below 60% (or who do not pass their one free rewrite) are required to retake the entire course. Go to top
Browse Courses by Location
All our classes are held in central, easy-to-find locations.
Click a location below to see available course dates.
Vernon FOODSAFE Level 1 Courses
Kamloops FOODSAFE Level 1 Courses
Kelowna FOODSAFE Level 1 Courses
Penticton FOODSAFE Level 1 Courses